13 February 2020

Mum-of-three thanks Sheffield surgeon for removing life threatening brain tumour

 Mum-of-three thanks Sheffield surgeon for removing life threatening brain tumour

A 36 year old mum of three has thanked neurosurgeons at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust for successfully removing a life threatening brain tumour.

Catherine Wilcockson, from Handsworth in Sheffield, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in May this year.

Catherine recalls having infrequent dizziness but had not had any obvious symptoms until on the 14th May she suffered a seizure which caused her to fall out of bed and bang her head.

She was taken to the Accident and Emergency department at the Northern General Hospital where she was given a CT scan, which immediately identified the large tumour. Catherine was transferred immediately to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital for a more detailed MRI scan.
After an MRI scan confirmed the tumour, Catherine met Mr Ushewokunze, Consultant brain surgeon at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital neurology department.

Catherine who is mum to three girls, Tia aged 19, Christie, 15 and Shani, 9 said: “Being diagnosed was a very worrying time for me as I am only 36 years old and have 3 children that need my support. But from the moment I met Mr Ushewokunze he was very reassuring and went through every detail with me. I couldn’t have asked for a better surgeon.”

On the 18th June, Catherine underwent surgery to remove the tumour and was awake for the procedure. The surgery was successful and Mr Ushewokunze and his team removed 80% of the tumour, leaving only 20% which Catherine has just completed radiotherapy for.

“Throughout my recovery Mr Ushewokunze has made me feel very safe and helped me to stay positive. I feel so positive and looking forward to the future now – I cannot thank Mr Ushewokunze enough for what he has done for me.”

“I would also like to say a massive thank you to the nursing staff on the neuro ward for being amazing and helping me through my journey. Each person has supported me so much and it is this what has really kept me going.”

Catherine now plans to fundraise an impressive £150000 to donate to Weston Park Hospital and brain tumour research, alongside raising awareness of brain tumours to help others like herself.

Go back
Rate this page: