Public invited to hear local experts explain exciting new Radiotherapy treatments for Cancer
Members of the public are invited to hear cancer experts from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals give a speech on the future development of Radiotherapy in the city and how pioneering advancements are benefitting patients with cancer.
The event, Radiotherapy, Hitting the Target, is being held by the North Trent Cancer Research Network Consumer Research Panel at The Source on May 23 from 9.30am until 3.30pm.
The day will include talks about radiotherapy research in the region and a discussion on the possible future expansion of Radiotherapy Provision at Weston Park Hospital. There will also be talks about Palliative radiotherapy, and about the Science and delivery of radiotherapy, and how modern developments have led to a significant improvement in the effectiveness of these treatments.
Moira Tomlinson, Senior Manager, Radiation Services, Weston Park Hospital, said members of the public were more than welcome to attend the free event but would need to register first.
She said: “The event will give members of the public a key insight to the great work which is being done in the field of Radiotherapy not just on their doorstep in Sheffield but also across the whole country. They will be able to hear about the future of radiotherapy and how soon we can expect to see the very best new treatments being rolled out. There will also be members of a research panel there who will describe what their experience of being treated with radiotherapy was like and will explain how their illness has led to their involvement in the world of cancer research.”
As well as Sheffield’s experts in this area the event will also include eminent speakers from Sheffield University, The Northern Centre for Cancer Care in Newcastle, The Christie Hospital in Manchester and from experts from the University College, London.
- Prof. Chris Moore, University of Manchester and The Christie Hospital.
- Dr. Paula Mulvenna, Clinical Oncologist, The Northern Centre for Cancer Care in Newcastle.
- David Meachan, Trent Cancer Registry
- Dr. Rupert Suckling, North Trent Cancer Network,
- Dr. Patricia Fisher, Clinical Oncologist, Weston Park Hospital,
- Sheffield Prof. Sam Ahmedzai, Royal Hallamshire Hospital and Sheffield University
- Malcolm Babb, Cancer Patient and Advocate, Chesterfield
- Moira Tomlinson, Senior Manager, Radiation Services, Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield
- Dr. Yenching Chang, Consultant Oncologist from University College, London
To register for the event please visit http://www.ntcrp.org.uk/conf2012 and fill out an application form.Released at: