Equality and Diversity
Equality and Human Rights are for everyone. This means people who use services or members of staff. Everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect this means to have their Human Rights respected.
Equality is relevant to everyone; people should not face discrimination and should have equal opportunities irrespective of characteristics that they may have. We know that sometimes people face discrimination and barriers to employment or services because of certain characteristics these are:
- Because of Age
- Because of Disability
- Because of Gender Reassignment
- Because of Marriage or Civil Partnership
- Because of Pregnancy and Maternity
- Because of Race
- Because of Religion or Belief or lack of religion or belief
- Because of a person’s Sex i.e. being male or female
- Because of Sexual Orientation
The law protects people in these groups and because everyone will be a member of one or more of these groups at some time, equality and equal opportunity is important to everyone.
On the next pages you can find out about
- What we know about the people that use our services and the staff who work in the organisation.
- What the things that we know tell us and how we have used this information to improve services and the experiences of people who work in this organisation.
- What the NHS Equality Delivery System is and why it’s important for people who use services and the staff that work in these services.
Our Equality Objectives - What our priorities are
NHS organisations in Sheffield want to make sure that the information we provide on our web pages about Equality Diversity and Human Rights is set out in the same way so that it is easier to follow for people visiting our web sites If you would like to see similar information about other NHS organisations in the city please go to;
- NHS Sheffield
- Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
If you would like any of the information on these pages in a different format please contact: Liz Johnson on 2713238 or by e.mail Elizabeth.Johnson@sth.nhs.uk